Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Tessuti Fave Top

My second top for Faye’s sew-a-long is the Tessuti Fave Top (free downloadable pattern at Tessuti Fabrics out of Australia).  

I first saw this pattern back in 2010 when Christina made it up, but at the time, I was not into downloadable patterns yet.  I wanted to make something up quick and easy since there was not a lot of time left on the sew-a-long.  This pattern is a one size fits all and the download is only 25 pages.  It is WELL worth all the taping you have to do.  There are only two pattern pieces to this top and from all the different Fave tops I’ve seen made up on the internet, and there are quite a few, it is flattering on everyone.  

Even though it worked out for me as this was a muslin to check for fitting and any modification needed, the only thing I would change for myself is to make the sleeves a little bigger.  My upper arms are a little on the thick side from all the weight lifting I did when I was younger so I need to make allowances for that, but otherwise, I love this top and see a few more of these in my future.  

I’m all about the comfort these days, especially on my days off and this is a top that you can either dress up or wear casually on the weekends just working around the house or doing errands.  I can even see myself lengthening this baby to a dress pattern to lounge around the house in. 

In addition to making this top last night, I decided to do a refashion as well to go along with it.  The skirt that is in this picture originally was a calf length skirt (Sorry I didn't take any pictures before cutting.  Sometimes I jump in before thinking) that I purchased years ago.  It was so long ago that I don't recall when I bought it, but I do know it was purchased between 1995 and the early 2000's.  I was never crazy about the fit (how it hugged my legs from the knees down) and last night it popped out at me and said, "make he shorter, so I did.  It was quicker than making one and now we are both happy, and my skirt will no longer just be sitting in a pile of clothes that I no longer wear, but am not ready to get rid of.

Linda, thank you for another successful sew-a-long.  It could not have come along at a better time as always.  I look forward to them and even though I was only able to get 2 tops completed, it's 2 more than I had before.  You rock!!!!!!  I also had a chance to look at all the lovely tops that were made by the other ladies and my blouse/top list is getting longer.  There were a few I saw that I know I have the patterns to in my stash, so you know I need to get busy.  Thank for all for the great comments that you all have been leaving me.  I hope the rest of your week goes by quickly.

Happy Crafting!!!

Monday, April 08, 2013

Simplicity 1716

As they say, better late than never.  I signed up for Faye’s 2013 Essential Top Challenge.  

I had high hopes that I would sew a top last weekend, but I was still finishing up a boxing skirt for a co-worker who had a boxing match Friday night. (more on that in my next post).  I’m glad Linda extended the date until Wednesday (couldn't you have extended it until the weekend?? ;).  I have high hopes that I can get another top/blouse finished by then, but if not, one and done ain’t bad either. I always enjoy doing her sew-a-longs because it helps me to focus on one thing and then just bump them out.
The first top I decided to start with for Faye’s challenge is Simplicity 1716, View B with a short sleeve.  

I purchased this pattern back in the fall not knowing if I could pull this one off or not, and I was not disappointed. 

The minute I finished it, my mother told me I had to make another one in a solid color, the dress version and one for her so she could wear it when going out.  

The directions are very easy to follow and as long as you have all the proper markings on your pieces before sewing, you shouldn't have any problems making this blouse.  

What makes this top is the design feature on the front of the bodice.

Another nice feature is the ruching at the back neckline area.  

This is done by sewing a piece of  3 1/4 inch elastic to the back of the neck.


I made size 14, and realized afterwards that I could have gone down to the 12 as this top fits a little loosely.  I'm thinking this is because there is a tunic and dress version to this pattern and you use the same pattern piece for all three garments.  I'm thinking in drafting the pattern, ease for the tunic and dress were taken into consideration. 

The only thing that I would change in the construction process is that before sewing the back neckline down to start making the cowl, I would serge the whole neckline edge first, so that you have a complete serged neckline if you own an overlocker.  The instructions don’t tell you to do this and if you follow their instructions, half of your neckline will be unfinished (the front of the cowl)  The fabric used for this top was a designer knit I picked up from Jomar.

 If you have not looked at this pattern, please do.  

It is a very flattering top and it’s a nice addition to anyone's wardrobe.  

Very different.  

I don't know if I'll get to them but the other tops I have in mind and am still planning on getting done are 

Vogue 8747

New Look 6150

Burda 9-2010 #114 (still need to trace) Has been on my list for over a year and the fabric is sitting and waiting.

Burda 9-2010 #109 (still need to trace) This has also been on my list for over a year and the fabric is waiting.

Burda 9-2011 #128 (traced) I just got the fabric for this but want to muslin it first as the fabric for this will be tricky.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin