Friday, August 28, 2009

My New Best Friend!!! And Other Updates!!

Every once and a while you come across a new product in the store that is something you can not live without. My new toy is the Off Clip On!!! If you don't have one, you definitely have to get one. They are a hot commodity in the stores and are selling out pretty quickly. But if you visit the store at the right time, you just might hit the jackpot.

Anyway, I bought mine not by choice, but I'm glad I did. A few weeks ago, I got stung by 2 yellow jackets and couldn't walk for 3 days. Bad allergic reaction. To make matters worse, 2 weeks later, the day after my red dress vava voom moment, I was bit by a swarm of gnats. My face, neck, arms back, and butt were covered in bits. I had to go to my family doctor who in turned yelled at me. That's the treatment you get when you've been going to the man since you were in grade school. Anyway, he told me that I should have gone to the hospital after being stung. Well, my lovely doctor put me on steroids for 6 days which I finished last Saturday, and I've been wearing my clip on ever since. And yes my friends, I see an allergist in 2 weeks for testing.

With the clip on, there is no spraying involved. It's battery operated. All you have to do is turn it on and you're ready to go. Here's a link to see how it works.

In knitting news: The guys in my band have been complaining that I'm always knitting but I haven't made anything for them yet. A week ago, I started Turn A Square by Jared Flood.

4 down, 4 more to go. My husband saw the hats and liked them, so I guess I'll be making one more for him. The pattern is Turn A Square by Jared Flood. I love this hat. It is so easy and it knits up quickly. It's a great stash buster and uses up leftover yarn. In terms of time, I'm knitting a hat a day. The yarn I'm using is Noro Silk Garden for the stripes and Noro Amagi for the main color.


Last night I started Sursa.It's from Cornelia Tuttle Hamilton Collection, Book II put out by Noro. I think the book is discontinued. But the pattern is a major hit at one of the two yarn shops that I like to visit. Even though it does call for Noro yarn and I am a huge fan, I wanted something more summery. The yarns I'm using are Cascade Sierra . It's the pale pink and Araucania Pomaire. The multi colored yarn. I love how the 2 yarns are working together, and the pattern is such an easy knit. It's great for television watching.

I have no sewing news but I have been buying fabric. Fabric Warehouse had a 50% off Sale last week. I couldn't pass that up. I was very good. I only purchased 4 pieces and paid $23 for the whole lot. I also purchased fabric from Fabric.com. I bought some stretchy lace and some ITY Knit. I think some underwear and lingerie are in my future. Who knows.

Anyway, what do you all have planned for the weekend? I'm giving someone a refresher on sewing tomorrow. Mr. D doesn't have to work this weekend so I'm hoping we'll be doing something fun. I also have to do a little house cleaning.

6 comments:

Sheila said...

What a nifty gadget to have. Those hats are so cute and would make great gifts.

Tanya said...

I've been looking for one and haven't been able to find it all summer. Love the hats.

Rachel said...

I need to get some of that mosquito protection. If there is a mosquito within 100 miles it will come and bite me. You hats look great. I have been knitting for about 6 months and am officially addicted to it. I wish there were about 48 hours in the day so that I could sew and knit all I want and still work this full time job.

robin said...

Sorry to hear about the bugs!! I didn't know about that clip on device - I need that too - the mosquitoes "love" me too. I read an article in the Wall Street Journal the other day that said that there is some research being done on what makes mosquitoes like to bite some humans and not others as much - and they determined that people with more stress emit certain hormones through their skin which repels the mosquitoes. The article's conclusion was, that if you are a mosquito target, you must not be very stressed out! I knew it was true for me (at least most days)!

Adrienne said...

Easy+hat= ME! LOL I like that pattern!!! LOL

Aminat said...

Those are lovely hats...Back to the question you left on my blog. The petersham acted as a waist band, not an interface. I used it instead of using the fabric waistband, because it takes the natural form of your waist. I love it so much...There is another popular type called grossgrain, I have not tried that before because I learned form other sewist that it's not as good as the petersham. If you can send me your email, I can send the picture of the right side of the skirt to you. Hope this helps.....

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin