Week 1: I learned how to saw into metal. Let me tell you, this can be a little dicey. I kept think I was going to cut my fingers while doing this, but I got lucky and didn't. Here's my first project.
It's very simple, but as they say, you have to learn the basics first.
Week 2: I learned how to solder metal at 1300 degrees. Very cool, I didn't burn my fingers off. I made this pendant for Mr. D which is a little too big.
He wants it turned into a key chain of some sort.
For the past 2 weeks I've been working on a ring for myself and I finally finished it Wednesday night. Let me tell you, it was so worth the work and the classes. Ria is an awesome teacher. Here's my ring. I am so very proud of this piece.
Karen took a picture of me wearing the ring but it's a little blurry Here it is anyway.
I also started a matching pendant to go with it, but I have to still set the pearl and polish it up.
I'm taking a few weeks off but hope to finish it soon.
In sewing news, I worked on Vogue 8379 last week.
I wanted this pattern for a very long time, but every time I went to JoAnns, they were sold out of my size. I don't know why I've never made a wrap dress before, but this baby is going in the TNT pile. That's right I said TNT (this is my 1st one for the pile). I love it, and can see more of these in my future. First off, once cut out, it only took about an hour and a half to sew this up. It took longer than I expected but that was because the original fabric that I had chosen went and ran on me when I started sewing. Another bad piece of fabric purchased at JoAnns. I'm so not happy about that. Oh well, back to my stash. I ended up picking a piece of fabric that I purchased from Fabric Warehouse about a year or so ago. Here's the front view back view. Please excuse the hair. Very bad hair day. It looked great when I left the house but once I left the house, oh well. I guess I'm going to have to start using hair spray with this heat. I'm not a big fan.
Over the 4th of July weekend I worked on BWOF 07/2008-117, the Marlene Dietrich Trouser.
The pattern calls for a more light weight fabric like linen, but I went for a cotton twill in a dark blue that I purchased at Walmart for my first pair. I did my muslin on Saturday and learned that I didn't have to add any length to the pants. Major plus for me. I'll start to use Burda patterns more often knowing that. I always have to add at least 2 to 4 inches on the Big 4 patterns. Sunday I cut my fabric out and started working on the pants. I finished them up on Monday. Here are some close-ups of the front, (Sorry for the wrinkles. Pictures were taken after wearing them all day.)
zipper insertion,and my first attempts at using the hook and eye closers that I purchased from Greenberg and Hammer back in November when I went for PR Day. There's nothing better than taking a hammer to a pair of pants if you've got issues on your mind. Once I figured out how to use them, it was smooth sailing. I like the look, and I makes my pants look a little more store bought. All in all, I like the way they turned out, and they are wearable. I really need to make pants more often instead of being scared. Now I need to work on a few PR reviews, I'm so behind with that. What are you working on this weekend. I'd like to start on Simplicity 2648. My fabric is cut. I just need to mark everything and start sewing.
I don't have any pictures yet, but I'm finishing up knitting my short sleeve sweater. The body is completely done and I have the shoulder seams sewn together. I also completed one sleeve during the week and am working on the other one now. I still haven't decided if I want to put the pockets on it yet. Oh well, decisions, decisions. I hope you all have a great weekend. Stay cool. Adelaide, if you read this post, I'm putting my package together for you this weekend for my donation.