Saturday, February 08, 2014

McCall 6168

The very first time I saw McCall 6168 was when Mimi G. first posted her version of the pattern back in 2012.


I knew then that I wanted to make my own version of this pattern and drove over to Joanns during their next McCall pattern sale only to find out that the pattern was out of print.  I patiently waited for the out of print patterns to go on sale online and as they say, patience is a virtue.  They eventually did and I purchased the pattern only for it to sit in my stash for 2 years.  During this time I thought about how I wanted my version to look.  I knew that I wanted some leather involved.  Below is my review of this timeless and I mean timeless cardigan.  In doing my research on the pattern, it looks like it was first released in 2010.  It is now 2014 and it hasn't gone out of style yet.  Mr. D says I look a little like a Star Wars character with the leather pants added in.



Pattern Description:

Cardigans A, B, C have long sleeves, stitched hems and shaped lower edges; cardigan A has front pockets that do not lay flat; cardigans A, B have front button closures; cardigan C has optional button closure, wrong side of fabric will show; purchased tops, bottoms and optional belts.

I made view C - Size 16 because I wanted to wear this more like a coat.

Pattern Sizing:

(8-10-13-14-16)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?

Yes it most certainly did.

Were the instructions easy to follow?

I did not follow them as the pattern pieces fit together nicely. And I might add that at the time I couldn't find the directions only to learn later that they were in the bag that I carry to work.  I guess I put it in there for some light reading during my break time and forgot to take it out.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

I have no dislikes about this pattern at all.  It first came out in 2010 and is still in style now.  That alone should say something.

Fabric Used:

Sweatshirt fabric purchased from my very first visit to Metro Textiles.  I used the inside of the sweatshirt fabric because I loved the way it looked.  The texture of it was very pretty to me.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

I lengthened the cardigan by about 2 to 3 inches.  I also added pockets in the side seam.  I'm learning now that I like to sometimes have a pocket to throw a set of keys in or to carry my phone or tissues. 












Instead of doing a regular sleeve.  I chose to do my sleeves in leather for a funkier look to the cardigan.  I also added an obi belt made out of the same material I cut the sleeves out of.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

Yes most definitely.  I'd like to make a few more in a sweater knit and rayon or cotton knit for warmer days.

Conclusion:

I love this cardigan.  If you happen to come across this pattern because it is an OOP now, pick it up.  It's a nice way of dressing up an outfit.  I can wear this cardigan as a sweater or a coat.  It's nice to have this option as I'm dreaming of warmer days or the beginning of Spring.

3 comments:

Myra said...

This is very pretty Andrea! It really looks warm too. Prefect for layering!

Susan Fogel said...

Very funky, stylish, warm and attractive. The warm golden color looks good on you, the entire look is powerful, and it makes me almost want cold weather so I can wear it.
Nice job!

Roz said...

I love cream colors for winter! Good Job!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin