Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Weekend Update

I hope you all had a great weekend. Mine wasn't bad at all. I picked up fabric at JoAnn's Friday after work for a BWOF and Butterick pattern. I then went and hung out with my band mates. Sat. morning I started working on BWOF pattern 4-2009-122.


Yes, I have officially started a Burda pattern, can you believe it? I still can't. I'll talk more about that in a bit. I finished Saturday off by getting my hair done, hanging out with my mom and then watched the last episode of ER on Hulu. Sunday I spent the morning in church, it was Palm Sunday, and did a little shoe shopping. I wanted these Keds Hampton Oxfords. I also have them in a mule style as well.To finish out the night I watched the last 2 episodes of Lost. Just when I thought they couldn't do anything else with this show. It just blows my mind that it's still keeping my interest. It's really good.

In knitting news, I worked on Victoria a little, I pretty much am on the border portion of the skirt right now. I have one more pattern repeat to go. I hope to finish that off this week so that I can block it over the weekend. I also got a chance to work on my latest design while on the train going to and from work yesterday.

As I said earlier in this post, I started working on BWOF 4-2009-122. I understood the directions after reading them twice. I think the problem was that there weren't any pictures for examples, but I proceeded forward anyway. I figured if I started with an easy enough pattern, I should be okay whether there were instructions or not. It also helps that they have numbers in the corners where each pattern piece should go together. I traced the pattern pieces out on Saturday morning and added the seam allowances Sunday night using this compass which I found at Staples a couple of months ago. I like it because it has a dull point instead of a needle, so I can easily drag it along the lines already traced, and it doesn't bore any holes. The paper I'm using for my pattern pieces is Canson White Sketch/Tracing paper 24 in x 50 yds, which I purchased at Dick Blick. I love this stuff and it was pretty inexpensive.

Since I was in the cutting out mood, I also cut out the pattern pieces for Butterick 4810. I'm doing view B & E (top left hand corner). I washed and ironed all of the fabric that I want to use last night. Boy was that a chore, but if there is any shrinkage going on, it should be taken care of. I plan on cutting everything out tonight and possibly start sewing, but we'll see how far we get. ( I have to make a trip to JoAnn's tonight. I realized last night that half of the stuff I bought on Sunday to use for 2 projects is missing.) I'm feeling a little weird about cutting the pieces up for view B on the Butterick pattern as it also serves as the pattern pieces for the longer version top and dress, so I might just trace view B out on some of my tracing paper. Let me tell you, tracing patterns isn't as bad as I thought it would be. It kind of made me feel like a real designer. Mr. D came out into the living room and thought he was in a fabric mill/design house.

Except for the crazy rain, hail and cold weather ( I still can't believe it was warm on Sunday. I didn't even need to wear a jacket.), that's pretty much it for what's going on at the couture house of Andrea, What's are you all up to?

3 comments:

Mariss said...

So that's how you can re-use patterns! Trace them? Duh.

Did you get your stuff from JoAnns? I know who to call when I start sewing garments and need help :P

Susan said...

I trace all of my patterns. I never know if I'll go up or down a size. I also like trying to versions of the same pattern. Just makes sense.

Adrienne said...

Can't wait to see it all sewn up!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin