Friday, January 18, 2008

It's Friday!! Where's the Party!!

Hallelujah!! I'm on a quest to blog at least once a week, and as they say better late than never. I wanted to post earlier this week, but I didn't have any pics so that postponed me a little. I hope everyone is doing well. I want to thank everyone for their well wishes and remedies. You guys are the best. I'm still not 100 percent, but I am feeling a lot better day by day.

Work is a bear and it's consuming a lot of my time. I feel like I'm doing the work of 3 to 4 people. I can't wait for this season to be over. I've also been gigging every weekend this month. I so glad I have off next weekend, and of course the fi wants to go skiing. It's a plan and I know we'll have fun. We went skiing for the first time last year and loved it. By the end of the day we were on the intermediate slope. If you haven't tried it, you should, but please take a class first.

I have managed to get a little knitting done. I even have my first FO. I finished her last Thursday night. It's the Half-Pi Shawl by new momma Courtney Kelley. You can get the pattern at Rosie's Yarn Cellar.

I used Shimmer from Knit Picks on #11 needles. The color is Flower Garden. It's an alpaca silk blend that feels really nice. If anyone is looking for a lace weight yarn like this. Head on over to Knit Picks because it is on clearance for $4.99 a hank. On Monday, I casted on for my last shawl that I will need. I don't have a picture of that yet. I'm hoping to take one tonight. It's coming along nicely, and I like the color. It's a dark purple, close to an eggplant color. I'm using 2 strands together of Misty Alpaca lace weight.

Here is a picture of my garter so far. I am about halfway done. I promise once the wedding is over I will stop talking about it.

Remember in my last post I said I wanted another project to work on other than my lace projects? Well, instead of starting a new project, I decided to go back and finish an old one. Last year I started this:

It from Gedifra Highlight 023. The pattern is 417 I think. (I'm doing this from memory, and I'm at work). I have all the pieces done except for the sleeves which I did cast on for but had never finished. I like the sweater because of the embroidery and it's something that I haven't done on a sweater yet. I'm still looking for the yarn I want to use to do the embroidery. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I'm thinking maybe a thick and thin yarn with dark blues and pinks. The sweater is knit in Debbie Bliss alpaca silk on #8 needles.

I am still working on the sweater for my mother, even though I put it down over a week ago. I got a little bored with it and I need to measure her arms to see how much more I have to knit before the sleeve cap. Let's just say my mother suffers from long arm syndrome (I hope she doesn't read this, she might kill me for saying that. LOL!!).

In other news, I actually sat down and read a book, which is something I haven't done in a long time. Knitting takes up most of my spare, if you can call riding the train, spare time. It was a cheesy chick lit book but highly entertaining. The book was called Something Borrowed and it's by Emily Giffin. I plan on reading the sequel Something Blue soon. I am now reading Vogue Sewing. I just started it, and haven't gotten far, but I'm hoping it helps me with my future sewing projects. The next book on my list that I want to sink myself into is Finishing Techniques by Nancie Wiseman. I purchased the book a while ago, and I've heard nothing but great reviews on it. I've been told that it's a must have for any knitter at every level.

That's all I have for now. Hopefully you'll be hearing from me sometime this weekend. If not,

Have a wonderful weekend!!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

God bless you for tackling the Vogue sewing book. I love to sew and knit, and loathe reading about it. My eyes glaze over and roll back in my head...charming, I know! I have all the books but study them in a very specific and targeted manner.

The embroidered sweater is making me drool!

Amanda said...

Love the garter, and I remember that sweater! I think a skein of Noro would be nice for the embroidery, I think the gradual color change from top to bottom would look sweet.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin