Monday, September 13, 2010

Butterick 5147 with sleeves!!!

Elizabeth, this one's for you. Last month I joined the sew-a-long for the sheath dress from Butterick 5147, but could never get my act together. I showed you all the fabric I was going to use and started it, but to date, it's still in the works. I still need to install the zipper and sew up the sides, but right now I'm just not feeling it. Now, knowing that I still had that to do, I decided to start on Version #2.

I wanted instant gratification and I wanted a new garment to wear to work today, so I thought, knit dress, plus, I don't know about you, but I just have those type of days where I want something comfy cozy to wear. I couldn't think of another dress to try this with except Butterick 5147.



This time I traced it out in a size 12, because I was working with a knit and drafted short sleeves to go with it since it's getting cooler outside. If you want to try this, you can take short sleeves from another pattern or try drafting some yourself. I'd say it was an easy project all the way around and I was able to work it up on about an hour or so and it fit right out the box. Now in hearing about the armhole area being cut a little to low, I did add about an 1" to the lower area when tracing the armhole out and then graded back to the 12 going up to the shoulder area. I definitely see more of these in my future with different types of sleeves and necklines.
I'm already planning another one with a matching sweater jacket I'm going to design to go with it. Wish me luck, I hope it turns out.

By the way, thank you all for all the lovely well wishes from my last post. Have a great night. I off to go finish dinner and get some crafting done.

16 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

You definitely should make more! This is lovely on you!

Faye Lewis said...

Your dress is stunning.

Lori said...

Great dress.

SEWN said...

I love it! What a great idea to make it in a knit. Did you line it too? I love the sleeves idea. Can't wait to see you make more of these. And congratulations on the new job. I'd love to work with Karen!!!

Sheila said...

Cute dress and the possibilities with B5147 are endless and looking forward to version 2.

Uma Mageswari Preve said...

Very pretty dress!

Eugenia said...

How very inventive to use this great pattern to make a knit dress - it looks super-fabulous on you!

Angela said...

I likey your version #2! It looks great with sleeves and a wonderful sumemr to fall transition dress!

Jackie said...

Cute dress. I like your version.

robin said...

Wow, I LOVE IT! It looks so great on you. Now I want to make one with sleeves, in a knit, too! Did you go down just one size b/c of the knit fabric? I was considering long sleeves - what do you think? Did you skip the lining and the zipper?

Tee said...

You look marvelous, love the color and fabric!

Karin van D. said...

I love it. It looks gorgeous on you. It's simple, but so elegant. Very nice!

Michelle said...

What a great dress! I love it with the sleeves.

sewing spots said...

Really pretty! It's a nice feeling to get a project finished! Congrats.

Myra said...

Your dress is too cute! I really like your version. Hope the job is going well!

shapewear said...

you look stunning.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin