Saturday, September 11, 2010

It's been awhile

and I don't even know where to begin. In the past month and a half I have been through so many life changes. Just thinking about it is making my head spin. In June I got laid off again. I guess my boss was liking the fact that she didn't have to pay anyone during the summer months. Well, I couldn't handle that and unemployment is so bad, I couldn't live off of that either.

My buddy Karen called me up and asked if I wouldn't mind covering for vacations at her job for 2 weeks. I jumped at the chance. Mind you, knowing that I was only going to work for 2 weeks, I had it in my head that I would start looking for a new place of employment shortly thereafter. Well, 2 weeks turned in to 3, then 4 then, "We would like to offer you a permanent position". You know I jumped at the offer. When I sent the old boss my resignation letter, because I was suppose to go back to work this coming Monday, she promptly called me leaving me a message wishing me well. From her voicemail message, I got the impression that she expected me to work my new job and still work for her. To that, you know I didn't call her back. Anyway, I am enjoying my new job and learning something new everyday as I am now working in the legal field. That was my July. My official start at the job was the beginning of August.

I didn't get any sewing done at all except for starting the Butterick 5147 which is still not finished, but I'm halfway there. I got to hang out with Mr. D a little. He's on the night shift while I work during the day. It's a little hard, but we make it work. Every once and a while we get that morning drive by. We went hiking in Rickets Glen (I'm saving the pictures for another post. The place is gorgeous. I got to see about 20 waterfalls. The hike kicked my butt, but it was so worth it. Let's just say, I started doing Zumba shortly thereafter and have been going strong ever since. I'm going to work up to adding some yoga in this coming week and since it's starting to get cooler, I'll probably add some bike riding in also. I haven't noticed any weight loss yet, but I have started losing inches and body fat.

In shopping new, I know everyone knows about PR day in NYC. I had such a wonderful time. It was great too see some old familiar faces and to meet some new faces as well. I finally got a chance to meet Robin. She and I have been conversing for the last 4 years or so via blog and email. Girl, you are a delight in person. I'd have to say we had a wonderful time in NYC and I'm proud to say I didn't go overboard with the shopping.

I went with a plan for fall and winter garments, because that's just what's on my mind right now. At Metro Textiles I picked up 8 yards of double knit fabric for 3 dresses and 2 pairs of pants (not pictured) and a knit for a cocktail sheath dress. Some leather and a piece of lining purchased at Mood. Trim from Pacific for future project ideas I have in mind and a special purchase from Elliot Berman. The piece on the top is Dolce & Gabbana for a skirt and the other piece is a cotton fabric from Italy for a sheath dress. All in all it was a fabulous day.

Now, this past weekend I'd planned to get a whole lot of sewing done for me. It just didn't happen. Between running around and getting errands done, hanging with family and friends and sewing for other people, it just wasn't happening. On Saturday night I hung out with my girlfriend and did some alterations for her. I also designed and sewed a painting smock for my neighbor's son. He needed it for school and she couldn't find one anywhere. A trip to JoAnn's on Sunday night produced this baby. Please tell me why you can't find cool waterproof fabric for boys? I found plain blue outdoor windbreaker fabric that had a plastic coating on the inside in the discount area, but that was it. When I went to the cutting counter, there was only a little over a yard left, so I had no margin for mistakes or errors. You know I made a muslin first just to play it safe. Now, a 6 year old can not have a plain blue smock. Especially one that's into Ben 10 so I went over to the quilting section to see what I could find to jazz things up. When I spotted the flying saucers and noticed how it matched the blue fabric and orange bias tape I'd picked out, I knew I had a winner. I picked up some plastic for pockets on the front, embroidered he's name on it and we had a winner. To end the weekend out, I did manage to cut out 2 skirts for myself. Hopefully I'll have them sewn together soon. I have too many ideas in my head, and not enough time.
On a sad ending note, I had to put my best friend Byron(Mr. D calls him husband #1) down 2 weeks ago. He made it to the wonderful ripe old age of 18 and I am so proud and thankful to him for that. We had 17 1/2 years together and they were a lot of fun. He had a lot of character and everyone that knew him, thought he was something else. Let's just say he acted more like a person than a dog. Anyway, he will be greatly missed and things just aren't the same around here without him. Jackson, my other dog is missing him and it's an adjustment. He has taken to chewing my shoes up and his eating habits have gotten a little flaky, but we're working it out.
I hope everyone is having a great weekend and enjoying the cooler weather. Have a great weekend.

13 comments:

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

Glad you're back and hope everything settles down soon. Sorry about your pooch too.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Glad to see a post from you! It was fun seeing you in person in NYC! Sorry to hear about your doggie...hopefully another one will be in your future soon! And congrats again on the new job!!!!

Faye Lewis said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. You got some great stuff there; and congrats on your new job. God is Good!

Susan said...

Sorry to hear about "Husband #1". I know how hard that can be.

Congrats on the new job - I don't blame you for not wanting to respond to your old boss with all of the roller coasters you had to deal with.

Lisa said...

Honey, I miss you! I am so sorry to hear about Byron. I know that is a real hard one for you. And you KNOW that I am happy you are free from that crazy broad!
xoxoxo

Tanya said...

You have been busy. So sorry to hear about your lost, but I'm sure after 17 1/2 years you have a lot of wonderful memories. Congrats on your new job.

Myra said...

Glad to have you back, we missed you! I am really sorry about your loss, but so happy to hear you had a lot of years of good memories with him! Congratulations on your new job too!

Lisette M said...

I didn't know you had a beagle too. I'm sorry about his passing but how lucky that he lived to be 18; mine is 10 and still acting and looking like a puppy!

Sheila said...

As I had mentioned to you before .. sof sorry about Bryon and clearly understand your loss, especially after losing my furry child this May.

You did a great job on the smock.

Robin said...

As I said when we met in NYC, it was SO GREAT to meet you in person. You have such a positive energy about you and never let things get you down. I'm very sorry about your doggie too. I think I said that in NYC but wanted to make sure.

Angela said...

Congrats on the new job! Sorry about "husband #1"! It looks like you had a wonderful time in NYC. :) Welcome back!

Adelaide B said...

Have a great time at your new job!

Noile said...

Aw, Andrea, I've been away and didn't see this post until now. You've been on quite a roller coaster this summer, and I'm so sorry to hear about Byron.

It's great that the new job worked out! Here's hoping you have a great fall full of fine sewing!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin