Wednesday, April 07, 2010

I'm in Jacket and Lining Land!!

It is always still amazing to me when I purchase a piece a fabric, bring it home and then cut all these cool and different rectangular or oval shapes out. After doing that, I, take a needle and thread or the faster version (machine) and put everything together. End result, a nice garment to wear outside of the house. How cool is that? Sometimes I take that skill for granted, by not remember how cool it is, and then I get reminded by one of my awesome neighbors. Like yesterday, I was in the house and my neighbor Danielle stopped over for like a hot minute. I was working on my Simplicity 4256 jacket. I tried it on and then walked over to her house. I was like, "what do you think?" She then looked at me as if I had 2 heads and said "wasn't that in pieces a minute ago? That's crazy, but I love it. I think it's so cool that you can do that." Well ladies and gents, I think it's cool that we all have this skill/talent whether it be sewing, knitting or crochet. It's even cooler when you walk outside and know that no one else is going to look like you, because you put your own spin on things.

I finally cut the lining out for my Simplicity jacket over the weekend and I marked it up on Monday during lunch at my favorite hangout spot. The Bellvue Food Court. I ate a quick lunch and got busy with my thread and chalks. I had a ball. Yesterday while waiting for my mother, she had a doctor's appointment, I basted my pieces together to check the fit. I can happily say that everything is going well so far. Last night I pretty much sewed the jacket together except for the sleeves. I also pinned the trim (it's a faux leather with cool roping around it) on that I'm going to use. I wasn't sure about putting the trim around the collar area, so I tried it out and then took it off. I thought it was a little too much. I do intend to put it on the bottom of the sleeves though. I hope it give it a nice added touch.
This will be the first jacket that I've ever done with a lining. I'm feeling a little apprehensive about it. That's probably why I've taken so long in making this jacket. This is also the first pattern that I'm working with that has the different bra cup pieces to pick from for your cup size. I have to tell you, I like it, and the fit is nicer.

I did finish hemming the Vera Wang skirt this past weekend. I don't have any pictures yet as I'm waiting till this jacket is complete. I want to wear it with it.

I have been working on some knitting designs and I'm nearing the end on 2 sweaters that I have been working on for quite some time. Hopefully soon I'll show some pictures.
Today I ordered these lovely items from Mary Jo's Cloth Store. Point Presser and Clapper $16.49


Ham Holder $13.49

I don't know how good they are, but the price was right for me. I also purchased a seam roll at JoAnns. They were 50% off if anyone is looking for one.

If anyone is a Christian Siriano fan from his Project Runway days, check him out on Bravo. He has a new how that came on called Christian Siriano, Having a moment. Thanks Victoria for the link. The show is great!!

7 comments:

Carol said...

I had a conversation about sewing with a friend of mine recently (a guy). His mother has always sewn. She made (and still makes) all her own clothes and those of her children. My friend said that his earliest memories are of his mother turning all of 'these flat bits of fabric' into clothes he could wear. He remembered one day as a small child when they went shopping for fabric in the morning, his mother cut out and sewed that afternoon and by the time he got up the next morning he had a new outfit. My friend is almost 50 and that memory still burns strongly.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

I need to purchase a ham holder. Let me know how you like yours.

Eugenia said...

Looks like your jacket is coming along really nicely - I think you'll get the hang of lining it pretty quickly. I, too, like the patterns with different cup size options - it makes fitting much easier.

Susan said...

I really want to get a presser & clapper.

Sheila said...

The jacket is coming along nicely and looking forward to the finale' post. The ironing tools will come in handy and you will enjoy them. I must check out CS... everyone is posting about it.

Eliana said...

Is very fun to see your enthusiasm with jackets... it gives me opportunity to know new things for sewing.
Good progress!

Mariss said...

You'll do it great! I have no doubts :) Can't wait to see the finished results.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin